Thursday, June 14, 2012

A Perfect Match

A message from Arko's adopter:
My Arko came in to VGSR from the Virginia Beach SPCA - identified as Jedi, 4 years old, 85 pounds,  black-and-tan, German Shepherd Dog, very sick from heartworm. While he was in treatment for the heartworm infestation, this poor boy developed pneumonia, and was knocking hard on death's door. I met him on May 20th at an adoption day in Front Royal, VA, fully recovered from both heartworm and pneumonia.  He spontaneously came up to me and greeted me, letting me know he was looking for a place to hang out. I really wasn't looking to add another hungry face to my pack, but Jedi let me know that I would do well to add him to my existing pack of a Groenendael/ Newfie mix and a Lab who lives in an alternative reality. After the usual and customary reference checks and home visit, I was approved to welcome Jedi into my pack. The big boy came home with me on June 3rd. Well, not quite. Arko jumped into my car to go to his new home without hesitation. But Jedi was a name that didn't fit, and he chose to not recognize it, so Arko became his name, and he recognized his new name right off the bat. Arko had the opportunity to visit my vet, Dr. Len Rice of Towne Animal Clinic in Leesburg, the following  Monday for a wellness benchmark exam. Dr. Rice and I are in agreement that Arko can't possibly be more than two years old, due to  his physical development and the condition of his teeth (excellent). He was welcomed home by Benny, my Groenendael/ Newfie mix, and Kona, the Lab who lives in an alternative reality. Arko had his first opportunity to get familiar with the Gentle Leader head collar, and after initial issues, now understands that when it goes on, it's time to work. We start “O” school in little over a week. So, now Arko is properly characterized as being a black-and-red (not black and tan) German Shepherd Dog, approximately two years old with a very healthy appetite, now that he's over treatment for heartworm and pneumonia. He utterly adores being brushed, and has mastered the rolling nosedive, landing on his side in front of me when I have the brush in my hand. Arko also has the trick of flipping his food bowl so that the food goes all over the floor. That's been addressed with the addition of a new food bowl. He has also assumed the role of greeter with Benny when anyone approaches our den. He plays well with my neighbor's Labradoodle, as well as her cat. I can't imagine  my pack being whole without his presence.  He has a long way to go, in terms of learning his obedience lessons, but he's got a wonderful disposition and attitude, and couldn't be more willing to learn, so I anticipate that he will qualify for his Canine Good Citizen award, just as Phantom did, on his first attempt. Welcome home, Arko; welcome home, big boy. Would I adopt again? Bet your sweet bippy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment