Thursday, August 22, 2013

Ripken is waiting to meet YOU!



Ripken, also now known as Rippie, is a strikingly handsome sable GSD.  When people ask me how old he is, I like to tell them he is 7, going on 2.  He is very active and healthy and happy, and just when you think he is distinguished and mature, he will do something just a little naughty, like take your cookies that you left unguarded on the table.  Then, he will look at you with his beautiful brown eyes and explain that it was your fault for putting them within his reach and then not paying attention because you were watching the news.  And… then, he’ll ask for another cookie because it was very tasty.

We’ve had the privilege of fostering Ripken for 3 months now.  When he came to us, he was polite, but
Rippie - looking for his forever family
distant.  Now he’s happy and healthy and demands to be loved for his inimitable self.  He’s a little bossy and a little pushy, and, dare I say it, a little loud at times, but I know that a good walk cures all that.  He has trained me well.  I know his likes (treats, sleeping on the couch, chasing varmints, riding in the car with the windows down and being brushed) and his dislikes (cats, the vacuum cleaner, staying up late, and not being the center of attention). 

Ripken has given me the opportunity to once again help a dog that has lost his way get back on his feet and headed in the right direction.  As a foster home, I consider it my privilege to offer my home, my time, and my love to these dogs that have lost everything.  The come to us with nothing.  Sometimes, they don’t even know how to trust humans.  Inevitably, though, the miracle happens.  There is the lingering look, maybe a sloppy kiss, or a furry head placed in a lap that says “Thanks.”  It’s always that simple.  That’s when I know they are ready to meet their forever family. 

Inquisitive Ripken
Ripken is ready.  He wants his own family now.  He particularly wants his own family to not have other dogs, as he doesn’t want to compete for attention.  I haven’t even begun to explore the potential of this fine dog.  That is the reward he will offer to the people who will make him theirs. 

In return for all that we do for Ripken, he rewards us with gentle kisses and the kind of look that gives me goose bumps, for I know that he understands that we are helping him along his journey, and that, my friends, makes life good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment